Friday, June 02, 2006

i got a lot of...

ride time in yesterday morning. as my wife left for work, i headed out with her on my road bike. i followed her down the road, and around some back streets to beat her to the freeway. made my way to rockside and twenty-one; where i sat behind a cop at a light. i thought that he might say something as i followed him down rockside hill to the valley. traffic was bad in the valley going the other way. everyone going to work. trucked up to alexander rd, and onto the bike and hike, and took that to the valley rd. cross. took that down back over to hillside rd. up hillside. i love that climb. i'm not sure why. it's not the safest climb. it's narrow and twists. as i got to the top i did some circles in a driveway to let a car pass me. up to twenty-one, and headed back home. not too bad. about an hour and forty-five minutes.

then i rode to school on the fixie. the ride there wasn't bad. i made great time. about a half-hour total ride. lights and all. coming home was fun though. i seem to become rather surly on my fixie. get it? (my fixie is surly) a kid passes me like a monkey on a side street. i notice a 'jesus' sticker. and i yell out 'hey, did jesus teach you to drive like an asshole?' i came upon a slight decline. lights are green. nothing around that i have to worry about. so i just let me legs go with the bike. then my brain tells my mind, 'um, we're on the fixie, and we are going pretty fast, do you want to slow down?' my mind replies 'no.' so i kept going. i was hauling arse. again on a side street where a fork happens. some jerk pulls along side of me as we approach the stop sign. driving some big freaking blazer thing with wheels that would crush me like an ant. pulls out into the other lane, in essence cuts me off to go right, when i need to go left. i cry out 'what the fuck?' as i slow down and go behind him. then it hits me, he could turn around and kill me. so i check to see...nope. so then my mind races 'what would i do if he did come after me? maybe i could go on the sidewalk, but if he wanted me, so could he. then i could swerve around some trees, and get rid of him.' this is all going through my mind as i ride.

although i had some great track stands again.

my conclusion...riding a fixed gear bike is like being in a zen state. the concentration. the moment. but dealing with everybody else...it is just the opposite. yelling at cars. thinking about pissing off the person even more that is behind you, who is pissing you off. polar opposites that met at the equator to become a great riding experience.

go out and experience...

shalom...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home