Tuesday, January 24, 2006

it begins...

the taking down and tearing apart of my single speed. so for a while i will be without. i will be a...(i don't know if i am able to bring myself to say this)...a...a gearhead. my apologizes to the single speed godhead. i will be taking apart my old single speed, as i wait for my new frame to come in. some of the old parts will be transferred over. others will not.



what we have here is my new chris king single speed rear hub. (sorry about the pic, i hate my digital camera) complete with disc adapter. spacers. built for their cogs. undoe the 'lock.' remove the spacer. put your cog on. put it all back together. easy. hollow stainless steel bolts with an aluminum cup. nice. i will be embarking on one of the greatest accomplishments a cyclist is able to do. build my own wheelset. i am very excited about this. i have my hubs and rims. mavic seven hundred seventeen. xc. disc. i'm still open on the spokes. so we will see there.

to build your own wheelset. knowing that as you ride along, you know you built this. laced. tightened. trued. dished. them yourself. pride. i built these. my love and hard work went into them. if something goes wrong...no one to blame, except yourself. unless, of course there is a major failure in the hub or rim. i once owned a pair of mavic crossmax. i hated them. i cursed the french from here to there. so i picked up a set of king/mavic rimmed. mavic makes good rims...that i cannot take away from them. but their overall wheelsets suck.

sure there goes a certain pride in building up your own bike. what you want. certain parts. a certain ideology that you put into the bike. i know that pride. i have done that with all the bike i have now. put some of my own; lets say...personality into your machine. but the pride of putting together your own wheelset. instead of just 'slapping' on some part. nice. now please don't get me wrong. it's not like i'm going to go out with my nose up in the air, because i built this wheelset. but i will feel good about them.

with that...i will be putting up my old one by one wheelset with salsa rims on ebay with a sixteen and twenty tooth cog. if any single speeder is interested that reads this let me know via email. i will clean them up, and put a pic on the blog before i put them on ebay. for a 'nice guy' discount. single speeder to single speeder.

take care...ride on.

"as long as we think we are the ego, we feel attached and fall into sorrow. but realize that you are the self, the lord of life, and you will be freed from sorrow. when you realize that you are the self, supreme source of light, supreme source of love, you transcend the duality of life and enter into the unitive state" -the upanishads

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you'll build a fine set of wheels because you have the patience and the desire to learn. Just follow the BBI steps and you'll be on your way.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home